Monday 10 May 2010

Wedded Bliss

Wow what a week, lots of last minute shopping, planning and putting finishing touches to things. A fair few miles added to the not truck truck and and some wonderful memories.

Friday was pack up and move wedding stuff down south day. Gosh, good job I have a not truck truck, it was full. Kind and wonderful husband finished work early and we motored on down to the Childe's house. A nice late afternoon and evening of hall decorating awaited us and thankfully the Childe's clan was on hand to be very helpful. There was so much to do and my brain was getting tired thinking of what to put where and how best to show things off. We won't even mention the pink bow tying marathon. Kind and wonderful husband was given a reprieve and allowed to go to his mother-in-laws, reprieve he cries... Way too many people for him to deal with. Bless. I can only send out a huge thank-you to the proper family clan for all their help decorating and the extra touches. We all worked very hard and deserved all the thanks we got. More work was required on Saturday to put the finishing touches on the pink and butterfly confection that the Hall had been turned into. If I say so myself all my ideas gelled together and worked to create a magical atmosphere.

Ok we worked so hard that the Childe and I had to forgo the Mamma Mia blub fest that we had planned. By the time I arrived back at her place on Friday night it was time for a cuppa, a hug and bed. best laid plans and all that. Still I was on hand to give her a nice special Bride to be breakfast, no not champagne, croissants and strawberries that would be my choice, but hot choccy, toast and honey, and strawberries and cream. The grandchildren even had a special breakfast too, Chouet's oatibix...

With lots of tooing and froing from Childe's and hall I was getting dizzy but there was time to enjoy laughing and joking and some relative peace when all had left the house apart from , husband, childe, myself and the photographer and his wife. And that wasn't a chore either coz they are friends too. I had the onerous chore of gilding the lily; Childe with make-up is even more gorgeous than normal and if I do say so myself I made a damn fine job of it.

I then had the honour of dressing the bride and it was an honour. The dress was pure beauty and the Childe was radiant. Unfortunately the weather wasn't so it was umbrellas to the ready to get her in the truck. I wasn't crying honest, it was the rain.

Okay maybe I was crying, she was beautiful and my baby was off getting married and I was so proud. Still am to be honest. I know it is something that most mother's feel but I was so overcome with emotion I found it hard to talk, so I didn't, I rushed round like a loon instead getting myself ready and packing Childe's overnight bag.

The wedding itself bought a tear to my eye as well. What a sobby moo I am. Unfortunately the witnesses were stuck in sat nav hell and traffic and didn't make it in time so Husband and I stepped manfully into the breach. Can you see my jiggy, happy dance? I think it was fitting because after all it was the same registry office where husband and I got married with childe as bridesmaid and not son son-in-law as bodyguard. I think I can quite honestly say that they looked as much in love, as pleased with each other and so very proud to marrying each other as husband and I did. I am not sure what made me more emotional, watching my gorgeous monsters or remembering our wedding. I admit I was teary, it was only to be expected I suppose.

The reception was exhausting, can I say that? But oh so worth it. It went off perfectly and everyone seemed to have a good time, okay I didn't sit down for longer than 5 minutes at a time until gone 9pm but would I have had it any other way? To make it perfect for the Childe and not son son-in-law was my mission, not just my job, it was a labour of love. A small measure of how much I care for them. I hope it succeeded, in fact from the thanks from others and from the monsters I know it did. I honestly could not imagine doing anything else, how else could I show them the importance of themselves and how proud I am of who and what they are.

Sunday saw us wending our very weary way home, with a much smaller load in the car but still laden down with pink stuff so my dining room is once again looking pink and messy and to be honest I can't quite bring myself to sort it out yet. I've closed the door instead.

Now all I need is some recipes for the mountain of tomatoes that were spare from the meal.....

No comments:

Post a Comment